Thursday 19 July 2012

Biography/cv




Story telling is at the heart of my making, each of my pieces have a narrative often
influenced by folk tale, myth and fable. I am drawn to these ancient tales because they are
rich in symbolism, It is the subtle layers of meaning within them that capture my curiosity.
Beginning as humble oral tales, passed down over generations, some of their messages
have become lost over time. Unlocking these hidden truths is the key to my
work, they often take the viewer somewhere unexpected
I worked as a textile designer for many years before making the decision to concentrate on
my own art, the craft influence still weaves it's way into my pieces. I employ mixed media
techniques, a combination of pattern, drawing collage and embroidery techniques to
create my visual language.
Emotion, mood and atmosphere is an important part of my work, sometimes the story I
am telling will provide the mood or it will take influence from my own experiences.
 I am fascinated by the use of animal characters to convey emotion, I often
use animals or create ethereal creatures to personify human emotion.


Q u a l i f i c a t i o n s :

MA Book illustration, Cambridge School of Art.2011
BA hons Textile Design Nottingham Trent University. 1998

E x h i b i t i o n s :

2012

Dadbrook Gallery Spring show , Buckinghamshire March-May 2012
Affordable art fair, Battersea, London. 15 - 18 March 2012
Cork street open Exhibition, Mayfair, London 2012, Selected Artist 2011
2011
The Art nest open exhibition, Hitchin Hertfordshire Nov 2011, Selected Artist
Telling TalesAvery Contemporary Arts at Merriecroft Gallery, Sissinghurst, Kent, 24 Nov- 10 Dec
Pop up emporium, Castle quay, Bedford, Bedfordshire, Nov - Dec 2011
Ghosts of Gone Birds, A Collective between Artists, Poets Writers, London and International, Nov
2011 onwards
Tayori- Post cards for JapanSt Michaels Gallery, Trinity Street, Cambridge, 5-11 Sept 2011
Cambridge Contemporary artSummer Exhibition, 01 Jul 2011- 28 Aug 2011
Affordable Art fair, Brunel’s Old stationBristol11-13 May 2011
Castle quay weekender, Bedford Bedfordshire March 2011
MA Book illustration 2011THE GALLERY. at FoylesLondon 1-10 Feb 2011
Cambridge School of Art MA Illustration group showThe Ruskin GalleryCambridge School
of Art,Cambridge March 2011

I n t e r n a t i o n a l T e x t i l e F a i r s:
Heimtextil- Frankfurt
Premiere Vision- Paris
Indigo- Paris
maison & Objet- Paris
Decosit - Brussels

R e p r e s e n t e d b y :
Avery Contemporary art.
lhttp://www.a-c-a.biz/home.html
DegreeArt.com
12a Vyner Street
London
Jan- present 2011
http://www.degreeart.com/users/rachel-lovatt
E v e n t s :
The Big draw 2011. Monsters. Illustration work shops,
The Big draw 2010. Fantasy city scape, Illustration workshops

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Congleton, Cheshire, United Kingdom
Website: lovatt-uk.com I graduated from my MA in book illustration at the Cambridge school of art in 2011. My work is a combination of obsessive pattern , fragile sketches and collage. I am heavily influenced by story telling - specifically tales rooted in folklore where once upon a time really did begin. . .